After I came home last night, I updated the Scrivener file of my novel. It was something I’d been needing to do since last August when I dropped a critical piece of the plot. I was stalling on doing it though because I knew it would kill my word count, and it did: dropped it by like 8,000 words. But it was a relief because everything that I pulled out were scenes I knew in the back of my mind wouldn’t work. Ever. Not in any published work. Or any unpublished one for that matter. In fact, I’d’ve burned them but (a) I can’t burn an e-file and (b) I want to keep them as proof that I did write words, even if NO ONE WILL EVER SEE THEM.
Until I pulled them out, looking at my word count was kind of like looking at your 401K and knowing that there’s a whole chunk of that you’re never going to see – damn you, taxes!
Like I said, it was a relief.
So today I was able to start fresh with new words, knowing it’d be adding on to my real word count. I’d intended to spend most of the day writing (and doing laundry; I was behind), but of course stuff happens and it didn’t quite work out that way. But I did make my goal. I’d told myself – and a friend – last night that I would write 1,000 words today, thinking I’d totally blow past that goal that. Well, I passed it, but just barely: today’s count was 1,007 words. Not bad. Certainly better than my average and I’m officially on my way to replacing everything I just axed.