During an online writing chat last night, I mentioned that to get through my plot problem, I was going to write down all the scenes I had in Scrivener onto actual physical index cards. A couple of people asked me how it was working, but since I hadn’t actually started working with those cards, I couldn’t answer. I did tell them that my intent was to discover if seeing the cards, combined with actually being able to physically move them around would trigger something.
It did. Several somethings actually:
One: I realized that several scenes in my head didn’t have placeholders in Scrivener yet so those got their own cards. (I’ll copy them to Scrivener later.)
Two: I’m starting to better see how events are connecting – in more than just a linear fashion. They’re getting taken out of the box, so to speak, and are taking on life. That’s awesome.
Three: I came up with some new scenes that build off existing ones. This gives me hope that soon, any new scenes I come up with will be completely fresh and unrelated (as much as they can be and still be in the same novel that is…)
So it turns out that ferry time is good writing time. And it turns out that going low-tech with my index cards wasn’t a bad idea at all.